About Ghost Lifestyle
Ghost Lifestyle is a sports nutrition supplement brand founded in 2016. Based in the United States, Ghost offers a variety of products including protein powders, amino acids, pre-workout, fat burner and gaming supplements.
Ghost claims high-quality ingredients and aims to provide effective and innovative formulas that help people get the most out of their workouts.
They also partner with several popular brands, including Sour Patch Kids, War Heads, Swedish Fish, Sonic, Welch’s, Chips Ahoy, Nutter Butter and Oreo, to create unique flavors for their supplements.
Ghost BCAA is a Ghost Lifestyle supplement designed to provide the amino acids your body needs for better workout performance. The question is, is it worth the purchase?
In this Ghost BCAA review, we’ll discuss everything you need to know about this supplement powder so you can decide if it’s worth adding to your routine.
Let’s get started!
About Ghost BCAA
Ghost BCAA is an amino acid supplement powder designed and manufactured by Ghost Lifestyle. You may be familiar with this supplement company, as it has produced a wide variety of well-known options, many of which we have previously reviewed.
Other Ghost Lifestyle Reviews:
- Ghost Amino Review
- Ghost Legend Pre-Workout Review
- Ghost Whey Protein Review
- Ghost Greens Review
- Ghost Vegan Protein Review
- Ghost Size Review
- Ghost Pump Review
- Ghost Burn Review
Amino acids are the building blocks of proteins, which are essential for proper body function and signaling.
Branched-chain amino acids (BCAAs) are particularly important for muscle cells repair and grow after exercise-induced damage. The three BCAAs are leucine, isoleucine, and valine.
Ghost BCAA is a zero-calorie, zero-sugar pre-workout supplement that delivers BCAAs to help reduce muscle damage and enhance muscle growth.
Advertised as a performance-enhancing alternative to juice, Ghost BCAA comes in a variety of flavor profiles including specialty flavors in collaboration with Sour Patch Kids.
Ghost BCAA Benefits
Ghost BCAA contains a 2:1:1 ratio of leucine, isoleucine, and valine. It is designed to help support muscle growth, reduce muscle soreness, and fatigue, and improve exercise performance.
Ghost BCAA benefits include:
- Enhance muscle recovery by reducing muscle damage and soreness after exercise to help improve overall performance and reduce the risk of injury.
- Stimulate protein synthesis and promote muscle growth for those who are trying to build or maintain muscle mass.
- Improve endurance and reduce fatigue during high-intensity exercise to help individuals train harder and longer, for better overall performance.
Ghost Lifestyle relies on personal testimonials rather than scientific research to support their claims. When it comes to supplements, scientific research is essential to support any claims of efficacy and safety.
Ghost BCAA Ingredients
Ghost Lifestyle claims full disclosure of ingredients without using proprietary blends, providing transparent information on what is in each scoop. However, they do not disclose sourcing, quality and safety standards, or manufacturing practices behind their products.
Ghost BCAA is a vegan supplement that claims to be free of soy, gluten, and sugar, and delivers a massive amount of leucine, isoleucine, and valine.
It is important to note that without a certified gluten-free label, this product is not deemed safe for those with celiac disease.
Branched Chain Amino Acids
Each dose of Ghost BCAA provides 7000 milligrams (mg) total BCAA, in a 2:1:1 ratio. This means that for every two parts leucine, there is one part isoleucine and one part valine.
The most recommended BCAA dose for athletes is 5000-10000 mg. At an optimal 2:1:1 ratio, BCAAs can stimulate muscle protein synthesis and reduce muscle breakdown, to enhance recovery after exercise.
Ghost BCAA contains vegan fermented BCAAs, sourced from plants and made using fermentation. Common plant sources include soybeans, brown rice, and peas, although it is unclear what is used by Ghost.
Ghost BCAAs provides amino acids in instantized (powder) form. This process breaks them down into smaller pieces that dissolve more easily in water. By improving the solubility, powdered BCAAs are easier to mix into drinks and more rapidly absorbed into the body.
Leucine is the most important of the three BCAAs when it comes to building new muscle tissue. It activates the mTOR pathway, which signals the body to start building muscle protein.
The recommended dosage for leucine is 2000-3000 mg. Ghost BCAA delivers 3500 mg per serving, which is just above the recommended range.
Isoleucine and Valine
Isoleucine and valine are also important for muscle growth and repair.
These BCAAs can be used as an energy source for muscles during periods of high-intensity or prolonged exercise, which helps to delay fatigue and improve performance. They can also stimulate muscle protein synthesis, to support muscle recovery and growth.
Isoleucine and valine, along with leucine, also help maintain a positive nitrogen balance in the body. Nitrogen is a key part of amino acids, and a positive nitrogen balance indicates that the body is making more protein than it is breaking down.
The recommended dose of isoleucine and valine is 1000-1500 mg. Each scoop of Ghost BCAA delivers 1750 mg of each, to provide just above the recommended range.
Each scoop of Ghost BCAA provides 25 mg of AstraGin, a patented blend of Panax notoginseng and Astragalus membranaceus root extracts.
Panax notoginseng, or Chinese ginseng, is used in traditional medicine for health benefits including improving circulation, reducing inflammation, and boosting energy and endurance.
Astragalus membranaceus is another traditional Chinese herb believed to boost the immune system, reduce inflammation, and improve cardiovascular health.
AstraGin claims to help improve athletic performance through enhanced BCAA absorption.
Its ingredients increase the expression of certain nutrient transporters in the intestinal lining, which enhances the absorption of compounds like amino acids. By improving your body’s ability to absorb BCAAs, AstraGin® helps consumers get the most out of each dose.
The AstraGin website reports a clinical dose of 50 mg, which is the amount needed to achieve a therapeutic effect. One serving of Ghost BCAA provides half of the clinical dose, which may limit absorption-boosting activities.
Additional ingredients vary depending on standard and specialty flavors.
Malic acid is naturally found in fruits and is commonly used in supplements as a flavoring agent. It also supports energy production, making it a popular ingredient in pre-workout supplements.
Citric acid is found naturally in citrus fruits and used in supplements as a flavoring agent and to provide a sour taste. It can also be used as a preservative in supplements due to its ability to inhibit the growth of microorganisms.
Tartaric acid is also found naturally in fruits and used in supplements as a sour flavoring agent. Beetroot and turmeric powder are used as natural coloring agents.
Natural and artificial flavors are used to improve taste and aroma. This proprietary blend of ingredients does not disclose source, processing, or synthetic additives. These flavors may also contain heavy metals, preservatives, and pesticides that can cause adverse reactions.
Sucralose is a zero-calorie artificial sweetener that is used as a sugar substitute, which makes Ghost BCAA sugar-free. It is 600 times sweeter than sugar and consuming large amounts may result in bloating, gas, and diarrhea.
Silicon dioxide and calcium silicate are anti-caking agents that prevent clumps for powdered products.
Ghost BCAA provides 40 mg sodium from Himalayan Sea Salt. Sodium can help with intestinal absorption and uptake of BCAAs into muscle cells. However, Ghost BCAA provides only 2% of the daily value, making a balanced diet important in supporting this function.
FD&C blue #1 is a synthetic dye used as a coloring agent. While the FDA has approved its use in food and supplements, some studies suggest that it may have potentially negative effects in large doses.
Does Ghost BCAA Work?
BCAAs are amino acids that help support muscle growth, recovery, and repair.
BCAA supplements can be a convenient way to increase intake of these important amino acids, particularly for individuals who engage in regular physical activity and may have higher protein requirements.
Ghost BCAA delivers a 2:1:1 ratio of leucine, isoleucine, and valine to support muscle growth and repair. It is likely to help support muscle growth, reduce muscle soreness, and fatigue, and improve exercise performance.
However, the effectiveness of Ghost BCAA may vary depending on individual factors such as diet, exercise routine, and overall health status.
How Does Ghost BCAA Compare?
A standout feature of Ghost BCAA is its unique flavor profile.
Collaborations with popular food brands may also help attract new customers to the sports nutrition industry. Since it does not come in an unflavored option, the candy-like flavor may limit applications to more savory liquids like protein shakes.
To compare Ghost BCAA to two similar supplements, let’s look at the ingredients, benefits, and any potential drawbacks of each.
Xtend BCAA Powder
- It is also zero calories and zero sugar from sucralose and acesulfame sweeteners.
- Contains 7000 mg BCAAs in a 2:1:1 ratio.
- It also includes an additional amino acid glutamine, as well as citrulline malate, electrolytes, and vitamin B6. These added ingredients may help improve muscle protein synthesis and increase blood flow to the muscles.
- Available in 30 and 90 oz sizes, with 11 flavor options.
- A 30-day supply costs $28 or $20 with subscription. Options for free shipping, reward points, and a 60-day return policy.
Optimum Nutrition Amino Energy
- Contains a blend of amino acids, including BCAAs, taurine, citrulline, and beta-alanine, as well as caffeine, green tea extract, and other energy-boosting ingredients.
- In addition to supporting muscle recovery and growth, it may also help to improve focus and energy during workouts, making it a good option for those who want an extra boost during their training sessions.
- Some users may be sensitive to caffeine or other stimulants, which can cause side effects like jitters or difficulty sleeping.
- It is available in four flavors and part of a larger product line that includes a sports drink, naturally flavored and collagen support options.
- A 30-day supply costs $28.99, with free shipping over $75 and 15% off your first order.
Who is Ghost BCAA Best For?
Ghost BCAA provides a convenient way to supplement the diet, particularly for active individuals with higher protein requirements.
It is useful for individuals who are looking to build muscle mass or improve their fitness or performance like athletes, bodybuilders, weightlifters, and fitness influencers.
Since it does not contain caffeine or other energy-boosting ingredients, Ghost BCAA presents a good option for those who looking for a non-stimulant supplement. Ultimately, the choice of supplement will depend on individual goals and preferences.
Claims vs. Reality
Ghost BCAA can be used as an energy source for muscles during periods of high-intensity or prolonged exercise, which helps to delay fatigue and improve performance. It can also stimulate muscle protein synthesis, to support muscle recovery and growth.
While it is categorized as a pre-workout supplement, Ghost BCAA can be enjoyed at any time, depending on individual needs and goals.
- Before or during exercise may help improve endurance and reduce fatigue. This is useful for high-intensity or long-duration workouts.
- During fasting exercise or on rest days may help prevent muscle breakdown and promote muscle growth.
- Before bed may help promote muscle recovery and prevent muscle breakdown during the overnight fasting period.
Ghost BCAA claims to deliver a massive amount of BCAAs although dosing comes in at just above the recommended range and is comparable to other products on the market.
AstraGin manufacturers report a clinical dose of 50 mg, which is the amount needed to achieve a therapeutic effect. Each serving of Ghost BCAA provides half of the clinical dose, which may limit absorption-boosting activities.
Sodium can help with intestinal absorption and uptake of BCAAs into muscle cells. Ghost BCAA provides 40 mg sodium, or just 2% of the daily requirement, making a balanced diet important in supporting this function.
Ghost Lifestyle also claims full disclosure of ingredients without using proprietary blends.
Natural and artificial flavors are a proprietary blend of ingredients that may contain additives and can cause adverse reactions. Ghost also fails to disclose sourcing, quality and safety standards, or manufacturing practices behind their products.
It is important to note that BCAAs should not be relied upon as a substitute for a balanced diet and regular exercise. Consuming a diet that is rich in high-quality protein sources can provide all three BCAAs and support overall muscle health.
Is Ghost BCAA Safe?
Ingredients in Ghost BCAA supplements are generally recognized as safe and well-tolerated, with potential side effects being uncommon when used as directed.
The below side effects may occur, especially at high doses (10-20+ grams per day).
- Digestive issues like nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea.
- Artificial flavors, sweeteners, or preservatives, that can cause allergic or adverse reactions in some individuals.
- Interactions with certain medications like blood thinners, diabetes medications, or stimulants. It’s important to talk to a healthcare professional before starting a new supplement regimen.
Where to Buy Ghost BCAA
Ghost BCAA can be purchased directly from the Ghost Lifestyle website with an online store locator to find an online or physical store near you. Ghost also has a strong social media presence, partnering with athletes and influencers to promote products to online shoppers.
Online retailers include Amazon, Bodybuilding.com, and GNC. Physical retail stores like GNC, Vitamin Shoppe, and various sports nutrition stores carry Ghost BCAA.
At a recommended dose of one scoop daily, each jar of Ghost BCAA delivers a 30-day supply for $27.99. When purchasing off their website you earn points, with each jar redeemable at 6,500-11,000 points. They do offer payment plans, but no subscriptions or free shipping.
- Ghost BCAA delivers an optimal dose of BCAAs to support muscle growth and repair. It is likely to support muscle growth, reduce muscle soreness, and fatigue, and improve exercise performance.
- Delivers an optimal 2:1:1 dose of leucine, isoleucine, and valine.
- The most recommended BCAA dose for athletes is 5000-10000 mg. Ghost BCAA delivers 7000 mg per serving which is in line with similar products.
- The recommended dosage for leucine is 2000-3000 mg. Ghost BCAA delivers 3500 mg per serving, at just above the recommended range.
- The recommended dose of isoleucine and valine is 1000-1500 mg. Ghost BCAA delivers 1750 mg of each, at just above the recommended range.
- By improving the solubility, powdered amino acids like those in Ghost BCAA are easier to mix into drinks and more rapidly absorbed into the body.
- Since it does not contain caffeine or other energy-boosting ingredients, it presents a good option for those who looking for a non-stimulant supplement.
- Can be enjoyed at any time of day and is not limited to a pre-workout supplement.
- By improving your body’s ability to absorb BCAAs, added sodium may help consumers get the most out of each dose.
- It provides a convenient way to supplement the diet, particularly for active individuals with higher protein requirements.
- It is comparable in cost to other products on the market.
- The AstraGin website reports a clinical dose of 50 mg, which is the amount needed to achieve a therapeutic effect. One serving of Ghost BCAA provides half of the clinical dose, which may limit absorption boosting activities.
- Ghost Lifestyle claims full disclosure of ingredients without using proprietary blends, providing transparent information on what is in each scoop.
- Natural and artificial flavors are a proprietary blend of ingredients that may contain additives and can cause adverse reactions.
- They do not disclose sourcing, quality and safety standards, or manufacturing practices behind their products.
- No third-party verification of ingredients or purity. Without a certified gluten free label, this product is not deemed safe for those with celiac disease.
- Ghost Lifestyle relies on personal testimonials rather than scientific research to support their claims. When it comes to supplements, scientific research is essential to support any claims of efficacy and safety.
- Do not offer discounted subscription payment options or free shipping.