Gundry MD Heart Defense is a natural-ingredient-based dietary supplement that helps you have healthier blood flow and energy levels.
Heart disease is the leading cause of death in adult men and women, representing more than 25% of all U.S. deaths. According to the CDC (Center for Disease Control and Prevention), coronary artery disease (CAD) is the most common form of heart disease.
CAD is due to arteries that harden and narrow from plaque buildup, reducing blood flow and restricting oxygen to the heart – leading to a heart attack. Men 35 – 65 years old, in the prime of life, represent the largest demographic dying from CAD.
This article reviews a dietary supplement formulated by one of the pre-eminent heart surgeons in the U.S., Doctor Steven Gundry, founder of Gundry MD. In more recent years, Dr. Gundry has shifted his focus from surgery to preventative medicine, preferring to help people live healthier lives and avoid the need for surgery. He is one of the industry’s leading experts on digestive health and the microbiome and a New York Times best-selling author.
As we review the key ingredients in Heart Defense, keep in mind the issues related to CAD, in particular blood flow and oxygen restriction. Also, please read the Additional Steps for a Healthy Heart segment at the conclusion of the article, where we recommend protocols to reduce your risk of heart disease.
Ready to find out if you should add this supplement to your routine? Let’s get started with this Gundry MD Heart Defense review!
What is Gundry MD Heart Defense?
Heart Defense is a dietary supplement in powdered form from Gundry MD. The product is doctor-formulated with a blend of natural vitamins, minerals, and other compounds to support healthy blood flow.
Heart Defense is manufactured in the U.S. in a cGMP-certified facility (current Good Manufacturing Practices) and is tested in an independent third-party lab for quality and purity. The key ingredients include Vitamin D3, minerals, Cacao, Flaxseed, Whole Coffee Fruit Extract, and Inulin. The role of each component is explained in detail in the segment below.
Gundry MD Heart Defense Ingredients
Like other Gundry supplements, Heart Defense is a complex formula with several patented, trademarked ingredients. The formula consists of Vitamin D3 and minerals, Cacao, and the three patented ingredients, BevGrad Flaxseed, NeuroFactor, Whole Coffee Fruit Extract, and Frutafit Inulin.
Gundry MD lists each component and its dosage on the Supplement Facts panel in full label transparency with no proprietary blends.
- Vitamin D3, 200 IU – is known as the “sunshine” vitamin. D3 boosts immunity, is anti-inflammatory, strengthens muscles and bones, and improves heart function. The recommended daily intake is 600 IU (international units).
- Essential Minerals, Calcium, 9 mg, Iron, 2 mg, and Sodium, 68 mg – crucial to a balanced diet; these minerals have various roles, including oxygen transport throughout the body and brain, nerve function support, and immune support.
- Theobroma Cacao (Cocoa), 2.5 grams – Theobroma, made from the finest cacao trees, is rich in polyphenols. These naturally occurring antioxidants have an anti-inflammatory effect and other health benefits such as better blood flow, lower blood pressure, and improved cholesterol – all markers of cardiovascular health that may lower your risk for heart disease. Cacao has a nitric oxide effect that widens your blood vessels, improving blood flow and reducing blood pressure.
- BevGrad Flaxseed, 1 gm – BevGrad is a patented ingredient from Glanbia Nutritionals, one of the world’s largest ingredient and supplement manufacturers. The proprietary milling process of Glanbia’s Flaxseed delivers fiber and ALA, a plant-based omega-3 fatty acid. Omega 3s reduce triglycerides and slow the buildup of plaque. In our research, a typical dose of flaxseed is 7 grams. The dosage in clinical trials ranges from five to fifty grams.
- NeuroFactor, Whole Coffee Fruit Extract, 100 mg – from FutureCeuticals, is a patented, clinically tested, all-natural extract of whole fruit from the Coffea arabica plant. The ingredient, typically used in nootropic products to improve cognitive function, is proven to stimulate the production of Brain-Derived Neurotrophic Factor (BDNF), a key neuroprotein involved in overall brain health. Rich in antioxidants and polyphenols, coffee fruit also plays a role in managing blood pressure. Dosages in clinical trials were 100 mg.
- Frutafit Inulin, 10 mg – inulin is a prebiotic fiber typically found in digestive health products. Prebiotics stimulate the growth of beneficial bacteria in the large intestine, leading to healthier microbiota. Pre- and probiotics have been linked to improved blood pressure. The average adult should consume about 25 – 30 grams daily from diet and supplementation.
Although the ingredients include whole coffee fruit extract, the caffeine content in Heart Defense is very low, at about 2 mg per serving. Contrast this with an eight-ounce cup of coffee at 95 mg, a Starbucks Grande brewed coffee at 308 mg or a Starbucks Grande decaf at 25 mg.
Gundry MD Heart Defense Benefits
Gundry MD is typically conservative in its products’ health benefits and structure-function claims. However, the benefits/claims for Heart Defense are more “generic” than usual and far more nebulous than those for other Gundry products – particularly Gundry digestive health supplements, their primary area of expertise and focus.
Benefits claimed for Heart Defense on the Gundry website:
- Supports healthy blood flow, which keeps you feeling healthy and “young” – body and mind
- Elevates your energy levels, so you’re not struggling to just “make it through the day”
Contrast the above Heart Defense benefits with the structure-function claims of one of their popular digestive health items, Bio-Complete 3:
- A slimmer waistline*
- Smoother digestion*
- Easier, more regular bathroom visits*
- Reduced cravings for unhealthy “junk foods”*
- And even more energy*
The asterisk (*) following each statement is required by the FDA and relates to the following, “These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.” This requirement applies to all dietary supplements with descriptive claims and is not unique to Gundry MD.
Given the clinical evidence for the efficacy of NeuroFactor for improved cognitive function at the 100 mg dosage, we were surprised we didn’t see more extensive mention of enhanced learning, memory, or thinking in Gundry’s benefit statements.
Each jar of Heart Defense contains a thirty-day supply of 300 grams (10.58 ounces). The recommended serving size is one level scoop, 10 grams, mixed in the beverage of your choice. The website recommends just one glass of Heart Defense each day.
How Long Does Gundry MD Take To Work?
Although results from Gundry MD Heart Defense can be felt almost immediately, the site states that the full effect is evident after about four weeks of consistent usage.
How Does Gundry MD Heart Defense Perform?
Without regular doctor’s visits, it’s difficult to determine just how effective Heart Defense is at protecting the heart. Major risk factors such as restricted blood flow from plaque buildup and elevated blood pressure and cholesterol are challenging to discern in the absence of lab tests.
However, given Dr. Gundry’s cardiovascular expertise, we’re confident the comprehensive formula of Heart Defense effectively supports blood flow and helps manage blood pressure while delivering increased energy and the other health benefits indicated.
Is Gundry MD Heart Defense Safe?
Gundry’s Heart Defense is considered safe for healthy adults, and the company has reported no adverse reactions. The caffeine content is minimal and should not cause jitters, headaches, or anxiety.
Those with pre-existing conditions or taking prescription medicines should check with their doctor before using Heart Defense.
In fact, before adding any new supplement to your regimen, we suggest you speak with your healthcare professional.
Where to Buy Gundry MD Heart Defense
Heart Defense can be purchased directly from the official Gundry MD website here.
You can purchase 1, 3, or 6 jars of Gundyr MD Heart Defense at a time, with discounts for buying larger quantities. Below, we will detail the pricing and savings available.
Gundry MD Heart Defense Pricing:
Gundry MD offers a 90-day money-back guarantee. Additionally, those who participate in the Gundry VIP program can access products at up to 60% off retail with a subscription, something you may wish to consider for a product such as Heart Defense which requires continued use.
Additional Steps for a Healthy Heart
Understanding the risk factors for heart disease and making some common-sense lifestyle choices can help lower your risk of cardiovascular disease. Some of the risk factors are beyond our control, such as age, gender (men are more prone to heart disease and at a younger age than women), family history, and ethnicity. There are, however, protocols that can lessen your risk:
- Regular checkups by your doctor for early detection
- Control your blood pressure
- Monitor cholesterol and triglycerides
- Maintain a healthy weight
- Treat diabetes – diabetes doubles your risk of heart attack
- Abstinence from tobacco products
- Alcohol only in moderation
- Eat a nutritious diet, reduce red meat, and focus on plant-based foods
- Move – regular exercise, even walking, is excellent
- Get a good night’s sleep for rest and recovery
- Manage stress, consider meditation or a mindfulness regimen
In Summary: Gundry MD Heart Defense Review
Gundry doesn’t claim Heart Defense will protect you from heart disease; the FDA doesn’t allow that. However, with its comprehensive formula and proven ingredients, regular use as a preventative measure may be a prudent strategy. In addition, more efficient blood flow contributes to healthier skin, enhanced energy, muscles that perform better, and better focus, with less brain fog.
More reviews of Gundry MD products: