As we learn more about the importance of a healthy gut for overall wellness, consumers are searching for the perfect supplements to obtain these benefits. Unfortunately, it can be difficult to find high-quality probiotic and prebiotic supplements on the market.
When you do find them, you often don’t find the combination you need. Instead, you are left looking for a cocktail of different products to achieve microbial balance, which may or may not have the effect you are looking for.
Because of this, many consumers started looking for combination products for gut health, such as Goop Wellness Gut Microbiome Superpowder. With probiotics, prebiotics, digestive enzymes, and aloe vera, this product claims to provide an everyday balance of gut support, but is it really all it’s cracked up to be? Let’s find out in this Goop Gut Microbiome Superpowder review.
About Goop Gut Microbiome Superpowder
Goop Wellness was launched in 2008 by the very own Gwyneth Paltrow. Often seen as a health and wellness influencer, Ms. Paltrow has made some very questionable health claims through the media over the years. Are her products created through sound research or personal beliefs that rival those of professionals? Her website claims its Gut Microbiome Superpowder is formulated with a clinically studied dose of probiotics.
Goop Wellness includes not only health and wellness supplements such as this one, GOOPGLOW, and Goop High School Genes, but beauty products, clothing, sex toys, and more. All products are marketed to be toxic-free. Goop Gut Microbiome Superpowder includes 10 billion CFUs of Lactobacillus Plantarum 299v., prebiotic fiber, digestive enzymes for absorption, L-glutamine, and aloe vera concentrate for optimal gut function.
Goop Gut Microbiome Superpowder Benefits
Goop Wellness claims its Gut Microbiome Superpowder can help you achieve a balanced microbiome and well-maintained gut health for overall well-being. This product is marketed to support a healthy gut, reduce occasional bloating, and promote healthy and normal bowel function through its use of probiotics and prebiotics.
Goop Gut Microbiome Superpowder Ingredients
The main ingredients in Goop Gut Microbiome Superpowder are Lactobacillus Plantarum 299v., prebiotic fiber, digestive enzymes for absorption, L-glutamine, and aloe vera concentrate.
- Lactobacillus Plantarum 299v. – L. Plantarum 299v. helps normalize bowel function and helps alleviate abdominal pain, specifically in those who suffer from irritable bowel syndrome (IBS). It has also been found to help C. difficile-associated diarrhea in those receiving antibiotic treatment.
- Prebiotic Fiber – This product contains Sunfiber, a prebiotic fiber claimed to help feed healthy bacteria in the gut. Sunfiber is partially hydrolyzed guar gum (PHGG) and is a soluble fiber made from guar beans. Sunfiber is clinically effective in regulating bowel function, including diarrhea and occasional constipation symptoms.
- Digestive Enzymes – This product contains a proprietary enzyme blend to help improve the digestion of macronutrients (carbohydrates, protein, and fats). This blend of enzymes consists of Protease 30,000 HUT, Lipase 5,200 FIP, Amylase 5,000 SKB, Cellulase 500 CU, and Protease 164 SAPU. Some conditions can cause digestive enzyme deficiency, including lactose intolerance, exocrine pancreatic insufficiency, and congenital sucrase-isomaltase deficiency. Digestive enzyme insufficiency can cause cramping, bloating, diarrhea, gas, and weight loss. A healthy individual does not require digestive enzyme supplementation for absorption. Our body produces these on its own unless you suffer from one of the conditions mentioned above. For most people, supplementation is not necessary. The most effective forms of digestive enzymes are those that are produced naturally by your body.
- L-Glutamine – L-glutamine is an amino acid that can be found in protein-rich foods. Some studies have found L-glutamine to be beneficial in those with IBS. In fact, some believe IBS could be caused by an L-glutamine deficiency.
- Aloe Vera Concentrate – Believed to create a soothing effect on the gut, aloe vera is another ingredient found to be helpful in those who suffer from IBS. It acts as an anti-inflammatory agent to help reduce inflammation in the gut that can contribute to IBS symptoms.
Does Goop Gut Microbiome Superpowder Work?
Goop Gut Microbiome Superpowder contains research-backed ingredients that would support a healthy gut in some individuals. These ingredients suggest that this product would likely work for most; however, everyone is different in how they react to supplements. It’s important to note that combination supplements have limited research regarding their efficacy, and further research is needed to see how these ingredients work together in the body.
There are not many reviews available for this product to support if their consumers feel this product works as it was intended. One review was left on Amazon.com that reported it worked wonders for their spouse’s diarrhea and digestion with pancreatic insufficiency.
Who is Goop Gut Microbiome Superpowder Best For?
This product would work best for a healthy individual who struggles to get in probiotic and prebiotic-rich food sources in their diet. Food sources are always the best source to get the most benefit for your gut health; however, many consumers do not enjoy fermented foods or struggle to get in adequate prebiotic fiber in their diet.
- Chicory root
- Dandelion greens
- Jerusalem artichoke
Claims vs. Reality
Goop Wellness’ claims versus research go hand in hand. Although more research is needed to determine how these ingredients all work together in the body, individually they support gut health and improve digestion as claimed on their website. It should be noted that this product comes in powdered form. Because of this, probiotic strains are more vulnerable to stomach acid than capsule supplements. Those who aren’t opposed to taking pills or capsules may consider that when choosing a supplement as the stomach acid may kill the probiotic strain and reduce its effectiveness.
Is Goop Gut Microbiome Superpowder Safe?
This product specifies that those with a health condition, pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or who are breastfeeding should reach out to their health care professional before using this product. Side effects for each ingredient are limited and mild. It should be noted that supplemental aloe vera has been shown to have a laxative effect and, in large doses, has been found to result in acute kidney failure. Supplemental probiotics and prebiotics can cause unpleasant gastrointestinal symptoms in some, such as upset stomach, diarrhea, bloating, and gas.
Where to Buy Goop Gut Microbiome Superpowder
Goop Wellness Gut Microbiome Superpowder is available online on the official Goop website at this link.
A 20-day supply is priced at $58 for a one-time purchase. Goop also offers a subscription option which brings the cost down to $50 and includes free shipping and handling. Goop Gut Microbiome Superpowder is flavorless and comes in single-serving packets ready to mix into your drink of choice. Be sure to take this product with food, ideally around the same time each day. Being consistent with your intake will ensure maximum results. Store in a cool, dry place.