If you’re like most people, then you’re no stranger to that high level of optimism we all feel before going to bed as we plan out the day that awaits. We tell ourselves we’re going to wake up early, head to the gym, and get an intense workout in before we start our workday.
That optimism is great and gets us hyped-up for the following day, but it often doesn’t last long. By the time you wake up in the morning, you’re more exhausted than you were expecting and way less motivated than you were last night. That’s when that ‘maybe tomorrow’ attitude starts setting in.
Before you know it, you’re looking for any and every excuse to skip your workout. And, as most of us have learned by now, you’ll almost always find that excuse and won’t get your exercise that morning. As this happens more and more often, your results and goals start to suffer.
Don’t worry; there’s good news out there, and it comes in the form of pre-workout powder. With just one scoop 30 minutes before your workout, you can open the door to a more motivated, energetic, focused, and alert mindset. Of course, quality plays an important role in a pre-workout formula.
So let’s take a closer look at two popular options, Pre JYM and Cellucor C4. We’ll discuss their ingredients, benefits, pricing, and more so you can find out which is the right pick for you. Let’s dive into this comparison of Pre JYM vs. C4 and see which pre-workout is the winner!
Pre JYM vs. C4: About the Supplements
Pre-workout supplements are specialized formulas designed to increase energy, alertness, focus, motivation, drive, and athletic performance. They help you get the most out of your workout and allow you to perform at your peak for faster and more effective results.
With that said, there are hundreds of different pre-workout formulas on the supplement market today, and they each contain a unique combination of ingredients. Since they’re not all created equal, it’s important that you do your research before putting all your eggs into one basket.
Anyone on the lookout for an effective pre-workout supplement will likely come across Pre JYM and C4. They’re two extremely popular pre-workout formulas, but are designed for two entirely different people. Don’t worry; we’ll break it all down for you below.
What is Pre JYM?
Pre JYM is a pre-workout formula brought to you by JYM Supplement Science. It was introduced to the fitness community in 2013 and has become one of the most popular formulas on the market today. It’s known for its diverse ingredient portfolio and high caffeine content.
The formula was designed by Dr. Jim Stoppani, a world-renowned exercise and nutrition scientist. He wanted to create a supplement that gave the fitness community access to motivation, performance, transformation, and growth whenever they needed it in the gym.
Pre JYM is lab and gym-tested. It doesn’t use any proprietary blends, all the ingredients and doses are clearly listed on the label, and it’s available both online and in retail stores — including their official website, The Vitamin Shoppe, GNC, iHerb, Amazon, and BodyBuilding.com.
What is C4?
C4 is another pre-workout supplement that has become a preferred option among fitness enthusiasts. It’s brought to you by Cellucor, a company that initially launched in 2009. Two years later, they released their first product — Cellucor C4 Original Pre-Workout.
Over the past decade, Cellucor has updated its C4 formula to satisfy the latest science and research. While the formula has seen some minor changes through the years, the goal has remained the same — provide fitness enthusiasts with energy, endurance, focus, and pumps.
Cellucor has won a number of awards through the years, including Outstanding Partnership by GNC in 2012, Vendor of the Year by GNC in 2011, 2013, 2014, and 2015, and Best New Brand by Bodybuilding.com in 2010. They’ve released several other supplements, including well-known options like Cellucor Super HD, since then.
Pre JYM vs. C4: Comparison
Pre JYM and Cellucor C4 are both marketed as pre-workout supplements, and they largely claim to do the same things. They’re both designed to boost energy, improve athletic performance, enhance stamina, increase alertness, provide motivation, and increase drive.
They’re both available in powdered form, both available online and in-store, both come in a variety of unique and flavors, and are both designed for professionals. They also contain some of the same ingredients — including caffeine, beta-alanine, Creatine, and L-tyrosine.
With that said, Cellucor C4 and Pre JYM are two completely different formulas and will appeal to completely different people. Don’t worry; we’re going to discuss the similarities and differences between the two, including the formulation, benefits, reviews, and ultimately which one is better.
Pre JYM vs. C4: Supplement Formulation
The first order of business is stripping down the ingredient labels and supplement facts to uncover what’s behind these two pre-workout formulas. While Pre JYM and C4 do share some similar ingredients, they also possess a wide number of different ingredients that make it unique.
Not only that, but the doses of each ingredient might differ, and they might use a different nutrient form of the same ingredient. Either way, this will have an enormous impact on the quality, potency, and effectiveness of the supplement — which won’t bode well for the formula’s value.
- Both formulas contain Beta-Alanine to increase exercise capacity and reduce muscle fatigue.
- Both formulas contain Creatine to increase strength and lean muscle mass, and improve muscle recovery.
- Both formulas contain L-Tyrosine to enhance performance under stressful conditions.
- Both formulas contain Caffeine Anhydrous to increase alertness, athletic performance, and cognitive function.
- Both formulas are in powder form and come in a variety of unique flavors.
- Pre JYM contains 2,000mg of Beta-Alanine, while C4 contains 1,600mg.
- Pre JYM contains 2,000mg of Creatine, while C4 contains 1,000mg.
- Pre JYM contains 1,500mg of L-Tyrosine, while C4 uses it in a proprietary blend.
- Pre JYM contains 300mg of Caffeine Anhydrous, while C4 contains 150mg.
- C4 contains CarnoSyn® Beta-Alanine, but Pre JYM doesn’t specify anything other than Beta-Alanine.
- C4 contains Creatine Nitrate as NO3-T®, while Pre JYM uses Creatine HCl as CON-CRET®.
- C4 contains N-Acetyl-L-Tyrosine, while Pre JYM didn’t specify anything other than L-Tyrosine.
- Both formulas contain Caffeine Anhydrous, which is the dehydrated form of caffeine.
Pre JYM Differences
- Pre JYM contains 1,500mg of Betaine to improve hydration, pumps, and protein synthesis.
- Pre JYM contains 1,000mg of Taurine to reduce fatigue and muscle damage.
- Pre JYM contains 150mg of Alpha-GPC to increase cognitive function and enhance memory.
- Pre JYM contains 6,000mg of Citrulline Malate to improve athletic performance.
- Pre JYM contains 500mg of Beet Root Extract to increase endurance and improve blood and oxygen flow.
- Pre JYM contains 6,000mg of BCAAs (2:1:1 ratio of Leucine, Isoleucine, and Valine) to improve muscle recovery and muscle growth.
- Pre JYM contains 50mcg of Huperzine-A to improve cognitive function and memory.
- Pre JYM contains 5mg of BioPerine to increase nutrient absorption.
- C4 contains Vitamin C to improve the immune system.
- C4 contains Vitamins B3, B6, B9, and B12 to improve cognitive function, metabolism, and increase energy.
- C4 contains 1,000mg of Arginine Alpha-Ketoglutarate to increase nitric oxide levels.
- C4 contains Velvet Bean Extract to increase muscle growth, muscle recovery, and athletic performance.
- C4 contains Theacrine to reduce fatigue and improve athletic performance.
Pre JYM vs. C4: Supplement Benefits
Now that we’ve had a moment to digest the different ingredients featured in each formula, we can start to understand some of the specific benefits of taking C4 or Pre JYM before a workout. Much like before, there are going to be a lot of similarities, but also some differences.
That’s why it’s so important to do your research and read the ingredient label — no matter what supplement you’re interested in. Don’t be fooled by only reading the claims on the front of the bottle. Not only can they be misleading and wrong, but they can leave out some quality benefits.
Pre JYM Benefits
- Reduce Muscle Fatigue & Improve Muscle Recovery
- Increase Energy Levels & Athletic Performance
- Improve Hydration & Protein Synthesis
- Improve Blood Flow & Oxygen Flow
- Improve Cognitive Function & Memory
- Reduce Muscle Fatigue & Improve Muscle Recovery
- Increase Energy Levels & Athletic Performance
- Improve the Immune System
- Increase Nitric Oxide Levels
- Increase Endurance, Focus, & Pumps
Pre JYM vs. C4: Customer Reviews
Next on the agenda is getting a feel for how others have fared with Pre JYM and C4. While not everyone has a positive experience — especially since everyone’s body is unique and reacts to things differently — it’s reassuring to know that a majority of customers enjoyed the product.
With that said, it’s important to keep an open mind when reading customer reviews, feedback, and testimonials. Just because someone left a terrible review doesn’t always mean it’s a terrible product — it just wasn’t the right product for them. The same can be said about positive reviews!
Pre JYM Customer Reviews
If you go to the official JYM Supplement Science website, you’ll notice they have a ton of reviews and feedback for their Pre JYM formula. In fact, there are 324 total reviews — 311 of which are 5.0/5.0 stars, 12 are rated 4.0/5.0 stars, and one review rated it 1.0/5.0 stars.
You can also get a sense of how others fared with the supplement by reading Amazon reviews. The most-rated flavor on Amazon was Rainbow Sherbet, and customers rated it an average of 4.6/5.0 stars (over 3,000 reviews). 91% of those Amazon reviews rated it 5.0 or 4.0 stars.
C4 Customer Reviews
Cellucor also features a good amount of customer reviews for C4 on their official website. They have 548 reviews posted with an average of 4.7/5.0 stars. 437 customers rated it 5.0 stars, 72 customers rated it 4.0 stars, and just 39 customers rated it 3.0 stars or lower.
As we head over to Amazon, their most-reviewed flavor was Fruit Punch, and customers rated it an average of 4.5/5.0 stars with over 1,800 reviews. Only 12% of customers rated it 3.0 stars or lower, which means a strong majority of Amazon customers had a positive experience with it.
Pre JYM vs. C4: Other Considerations
Up to this point, we’ve detailed the similarities and differences in supplement formulation, benefits, and reviews between Cellucor C4 and Pre JYM. You’ve learned a lot about these two formulas thus far and have likely already formulated an opinion for each of them — good or bad.
With that said, we’re not 100% done just yet. We still have a few things we want to discuss about each supplement — things that you’ll likely want to consider before making an official decision or purchase. Don’t worry; we’re not in the business of leaving you empty-handed.
Pre JYM Considerations
- Serving size is one scoop (25g) of powder
- Available in a variety of flavors (Black Cherry, Grape Candy, Rainbow Sherbet, Pink Lemonade, Pineapple Strawberry, Strawberry Kiwi, Tangerine)
- Each tub contains 30 servings
- No use of proprietary blends, which is a plus
- Lab and gym tested ingredients
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Free shipping on orders above $70
- Serving size is one scoop (6.5g) of powder
- Available in a variety of flavors (Orange Burst, Fruit Punch, Cherry Limeade, Pink Lemonade, Watermelon, Icy Blue Razz, Strawberry Margarita)
- Each tub contains 30 servings
- Uses a proprietary blend (don’t know exact doses of Theacrine, N-Acetyl-L-Tyrosine, and Velvet Bean Extract)
- Free shipping on orders above $55 and subscriptions
Pre JYM vs. C4: Supplement Value
By now, you’re probably wondering how much these supplements are going to cost you. After all, the price and size of your investment plays a major role in your decision to buy the product. At the end of the day, you just want to know that you’re getting a good return on your investment.
Cellucor C4 will cost you $29.99 per tub, and each tub will last you one month (30 servings). You can save 20% on your order and receive free shipping by signing up for a subscription. They also have a 60-serving option for $49.99. Don’t worry; you’ll save $25 for every $75 you spend.
Pre JYM will cost you $48.99 per 30-serving tub, but they also have a 20-serving option for $37.99. You’ll receive free shipping on all orders above $69.99, and they offer a 30-day money-back guarantee. It’s a little more expensive, but not if you take ½ serving each day.
Pre JYM vs. C4: Which Pre-Workout is Better?
C4 and Pre JYM are two pre-workout supplements that boast a lot of benefits for those looking to enhance their workout. With that said, no supplement is perfect, and things are no different with these two formulas. There are pros and cons for you to consider on both sides.
You can learn more about Pre JYM in our full review here, but at the end of the day, C4 is probably the better option and for several reasons. For starters, the 150mg of caffeine is enough to get anyone wired before a workout, and the 300mg dose in Pre JYM is simply too much — you shouldn’t exceed 400mg of caffeine per day.
Not only does Pre JYM have too much caffeine, but it has Huperzine-A — which boasts a lot of benefits, but can be dangerous when taken on a daily basis. Although Pre JYM is marketed as a daily pre-workout supplement, it should honestly be cycled every 2nd day or twice per week.
Other than that, the doses of each ingredient are a little excessive in Pre JYM. With Cellucor C4, they’re a little more reasonable, and you don’t have to worry about the Huperzine-A or potential caffeine overdose. The only thing wrong with Cellucor C4 is the use of a proprietary blend.
Overall, C4 is the safer option. While we don’t know how much Velvet Bean Extract, N-Acetyl-L-Tyrosine, or Theacrine is in it, that doesn’t really change our stance much. Of course, it would be nice to see L-Theanine in this formula — as well as BioPerine.