Maca is a root vegetable that grows in the Andes Mountains of Peru and has been a culinary staple in the region for a very long time. The Peruvian people reported a wide array of health benefits from dietary maca and limited studies have supported benefits from its consumption.
Maca appears to have positive effects on sex drive, fertility, sperm production/motility, energy, mood, anxiety, recall, bone density, weight loss, and some cancer prevention as well as treatment. The mechanism behind these effects isn’t fully understood and more research is needed.
About The Maca Team
The Maca Team sells a wide array of organic, sustainable, Pervuian maca products. They offer different varieties of raw maca root powder, gelatinized (precooked) powder, capsules, liquid extracts, chips, and coffee.
- Raw Powder – This comes in 4 varieties (black, red, yellow and a blend of all three). The blend is 40% yellow, 30% black and 30% red.
- Gelatinized Powder – This is precooked to aid with digestion and also comes in the aforementioned 4 varieties.
- Premium Raw and Gelatinized Powders – These are made with rarer, higher-quality maca that is dehydrated instead of sun-dried, standardized to 1% glucosinolates (sulfur-containing compounds found in a cruciferous vegetable that have been shown to reduce cancer risk) and has a stronger/spicer taste. The Maca Team doesn’t make premium yellow maca products.
- Capsules – These come in all varieties.
- Liquid Extracts – These come in black, red, yellow or the blend and contain UPS certified, non-GMO palm-based vegetable glycerin and purified water.
- Chips – These contain 100% gelatinized maca.
- Coffee – This caffeine-free “coffee” contains the gelatinized powder blend, raw cacao powder, and raw mesquite powder. The Maca Team also sells a version sweetened with raw coconut sugar and raw lucuma powder.
- Samplers – The Maca Team’s samplers allow you to pick a product and try all of its varieties so you can see which one you like best.
The Maca Team says black maca is the best for male fertility, libido, muscle building and endurance. They say red maca is highest in phytonutrients and best for balancing hormones, female fertility as well as libido, energy and male prostate health. The Maca Team says yellow maca is good for overall hormonal health as well as balance and has been around the longest of the three. They also claim that the gelatinized powder is more concentrated and some of its nutrients are activated and amplified by the cooking process.
Maca Team Benefits
The biggest benefit of going with The Maca Team is variety. They carry all forms of maca and samplers so you can find the product that works best for you. The Maca Team also includes a certificate of analysis with each batch for proof of purity. If you’re trying to conceive, you may want to fork over a little more money to ensure the highest quality maca root powder and go with their gelatinized premium powder.
Black maca improves sperm production more than yellow maca (red maca has no effect). On the flip side, red maca reduces prostate size in rats more than yellow maca (black maca has no effect). Black maca improves learning in mice.
The pricing could be better and generally falls in the middle of the competition. The Maca Team highlights the fact that their maca root powder is organic and sustainably sourced from Peru; however, so is their competitors’.
The most common side effect that people complain of with raw maca is digestive issues. Gelatinized maca seems to lessen this complaint.
Sunfood, which is a well-known brand, offers a raw red maca root powder for $1.59 an ounce on Amazon. The Oranique Co. has the raw red for $1.31 and the raw black for $1.50 an ounce. Anthony’s offers gelatinized red or black powder for 94 cents an ounce. Madre Nature offers a gelatinized red powder for $1.06 an ounce. Indus Organics offers a gelatinized red bulk 4-pound option that comes out to 55 cents an ounce and a gelatinized blend that comes out to 47 cents an ounce.
Who are The Maca Team’s Products Best For?
- People who aren’t sure which variety of maca they want as they can go with one of The Maca Team’s samplers
- People who don’t mind paying a bit more for a standardized product that comes with a certificate of analysis
- Postmenopausal women – Maca reduces anxiety, depression and sexual dysfunction in postmenopausal women.
- Men who’re having difficulty conceiving due to low sperm count
- Either men or women who are trying to boost their sex drive
- People who would like to try maca root for its adaptogenic qualities (energy, mood, anxiety)
The Maca Team has hundreds of reviews on Amazon that are mostly positive. Some of the positive raw red reviews said it helped with libido, balancing hormones and energy. Some of the negative reviews said it caused stomach upset and other side effects.
Some of the positive raw black reviews said it helped with libido, stamina and seminal volume. Some of the negative reviews said it tasted bad and caused side effects.
ReviewMeta suggests some of the Amazon reviews may not be authentic.
Cost + Where to Buy
You can buy The Maca Team’s products on Amazon or their website. If you buy in bulk, you can get:
- The raw powders from 69 cents to $1.32 an ounce. The tricolor blend is generally cheapest, followed by the yellow, red and then black powders.
- The raw premium powders from $1.27 to $1.45 an ounce
- The gelatinized powders from 77 cents to $1.40 an ounce
- The premium gelatinized powders from $1.31 to $1.59 an ounce
The cheapest (raw tricolor) powder is 22 cents per serving and the most expensive (premium gelatinized black) is 50 cents per serving.
You could also opt for the capsules, which range from 9 to 12 cents a capsule.
Although different people react to it differently, if you’re looking to increase libido and/or energy, maca root is worth a try because it appears to be safe and is actually pretty nutritious.
The Maca Team’s products, although high-quality, are a bit on the expensive side.