Our bodies require a lot of different things to be healthy. There’s vitamin D, sleep, potassium, and of course vitamin C. Vitamin C is an essential nutrient needed for your body to function properly. Plus it creates better overall health. Supplementing with this nutrient is quite common, and on average this is one of the most consumed vitamin products. So, what are the best vitamin C supplements?
You can easily find this available via online and in stores, which is why it would be a good idea to do some research first before buying a generic vitamin product.
What Is Vitamin C?
Vitamin C is also known as ascorbic acid and is an antioxidant. Being essential means that your body cannot produce this nutrient on its own, and the vitamin must be consumed through whole foods or supplementation.
Orange juice is the easiest source for this nutrient. However, not everyone likes to drink this, or those that are diabetic are not able to consume juice due to high sugar levels.
This vitamin is overall safe to consume even at higher dosages since its water-soluble i.e. anything left over during digestion is urinated out. Daily dosing with vitamin C may lead to several different benefits if your diet has been lacking this.
Vitamin C Supplement Benefits
Vitamin C is a micronutrient, and is important for all different body types. Regardless if you are an athlete, or a senior in need of nutrients from not being able to consume enough, vitamin C is important.
Primary roles of Vitamin C are:
- Repair, growth, and development of all body tissues
- Boosts immune system and reduces virus replication
- Reduces chances of heart disease, eye disease, and prenatal health
- Lowers blood levels of uric acid, which can reduce symptoms deriving from gout
- Keeps skin healthy and can reduce inflammation, redness, and dryness
- Assists with the absorption of iron and commonly found together
You can see that vitamin C does a lot for your body, and scientists are realizing that even more vitamin C should be consumed than what the CDC recommends for daily needs.
Those with an active lifestyle benefit a lot from vitamin C for muscle recovery following a workout. The common nutrient most thought of is protein, but with a deficiency in vitamin C muscle repair becomes hindered.
The suggested daily dosage of vitamin C ranges from 500mg-1,000mg. Since it is water-soluble, you do not need to worry so much about going a bit over as long as it is in moderation. Anything extremely high without medical consultation first can be dangerous.
Different Forms Of Vitamin C
Vitamin C actually comes in a variety of choices for digestive needs and better absorption. This supplement also can derive from different types of forms such as liquid capsules, tablets, and pure liquid. The actually forms of vitamin C are:
- Ascorbic Acid – The natural form of vitamin C that is cheap and easy to find. May cause some to have an upset stomach, so other forms are available. Time released capsules can be found to slowly release the vitamin C and possibly reduce upset stomach.
- Buffered Vitamin C – This form comes from mineral ascorbates, which are less acidic mineral salts you may know as electrolytes. Calcium, magnesium, potassium, and magnesium ascorbates provide the vitamin C to reduce chances of gastrointestinal issues. Does cost more to purchase this form.
- Vitamin C with Bioflavonoids – Vitamin C rich foods contain polyphenolic compounds known as bioflavonoids. This mixture essentially helps boost the absorption of vitamin C at a cost-effective price. Rosehips are commonly one of these bioflavonoids added in.
- Ester-C – Vitamin C metabolites and mineral ascorbates (commonly calcium) mixed together. Increase the bioavailability of the nutrient to be absorbed better. Most products like this will be expensive compare to regular buffered vitamin C.
Best Vitamin C Supplements
Finding the best vitamin C supplement is based off of quality and price. Plus, you may have to take digestive issues into account if any occur with a specific form. Price has a lot to do with vitamin C supplements since it is a daily dosage meant for long term use.
Staunch Vitamin C
This is one of those top-quality supplements available for purchase. Consumer ratings are quite high for Staunch Vitamin C, and it can easily be found on Amazon as well.
Each serving contains 1,000mg of vitamin c with 25mg of rosehip added in. The form of vitamin c is in ascorbic acid, which will digest better with the added bioflavonoid.GET THE BEST PRICE ON STAUNCH VITAMIN C
Lypo-Spheric Vitamin C
Lypo-Spheric Vitamin C is a supplement from LivOn Laboratories that uses patented technology and advanced formulation to provide your body with vitamin c it needs.
This supplement includes 1,000mg of vitamin c per serving, as well as 60mg choline, 160mg sodium, and 1000mg essential phospolipids.USE CODE “GET10P” TO GET 10% OFF LYPO-SPHERIC VITAMIN C
Solgar Vitamin C With Rose Hips
Solgar Vitamin C is nearly twice the price of Staunch, but there are reasons for this. The vitamin C is also mixed with rosehip for better availability. However, the difference is the type of product as a whole. Solgar Vitamin C is kosher, dairy free, gluten free, grain free, and focused towards those that are following the vegan lifestyle.
This bottle also contains 1,000mg of vitamin C with 62.5mg rosehip. Found in tablet form, you consume one per day and there are 250 tablets in each bottle. There is a price difference, but only because this bottle has over twice the amount for servings.GET THE BEST PRICE ON SOLGAR VITAMIN C WITH ROSE HIPS
NatureMade Vitamin C
NatureMade is readily found in most convenient and drug stores. The price varies on the amount of servings you purchase, but you can find a 300 tablet bottle for just over $20.
The amount of vitamin C is 1,000mg making it similar to the previous supplements, and if this much is not needed other products exist with only 500mg per serving. You only take one tablet daily, which makes this bottle almost a years’ worth of servings. Perfect for household use.GET THE BEST PRICE ON NATUREMADE VITAMIN C
American Health Ester-C
American Health has a great vitamin C product to consider with vegetarian based tablets. You consume 2 tablets daily with a 225-count bottle. The number of tablets does not come out even with one remaining, but you do get 112 servings of quality ester-c, which was noted to cost more for effectiveness.
There is 500mg of ester-c, 110mg ester-c calcium ascorbate, and 400mg citrus bioflavonoids. Definitely a high quality vitamin supplement with over 1,000 reviews placing it with 4.5 stars out of 5.GET THE BEST PRICE ON AMERICAN HEALTH ESTER-C
Final Thoughts: Best Vitamin C Supplements
Choosing your vitamin C supplement needs to be thought of as a long term purchase. Save money by purchasing the ascorbic acid supplements first. This will give you an idea of how your stomach reacts before investing extra money first. However, if you want to play it safe then the American Health Ester-C is a smart choice.